2023: A Year of Looking up at Ceilings

In 2023, I had the distinct joy of returning to live music in full force. Concerts that usually would have felt too far way or bands from too long ago became without question a reason to go. The miles driven were complete bliss and the opportunity to be back in my happy place was a thrill.

In March things kicked off. I kept looking up and all around, soaking in the moment like it might slip away in the next instant if I didn't. Being back in the crowd made me introspective, and now more than ever I wanted live music to be about the sound. 

Yes, the things you get to see are interesting, but I wanted to honor the true crux of what speaks to people. It's not the flash of a band name, the venue, your outfit, the band's outfit, the light show, what I ate before - you get it. (Please don't hear me say that I don't take those photos or document those things as well, I certainly do! I love a good picture of my delicious plate and giving every detail of the show to anyone who will listen.) It's the music: it's the words, the melody of the guitars, the pace of the drums, and the harmony of the vocals. 

It was then I wanted to capture something else in this visual world. I wanted to take photos of venue ceilings. Nothing fancy, nothing interesting (honestly it's childish), but it makes for a great redirection to why we listen. The ceilings, or their lack there of when it's the sky that catches the sound - are the loyal vessels that contain music for us to enjoy. I found myself staring up at them thinking of what a great perspective they had, looking down and hearing everything - enduring and soaking in the sound for as long as they stand. So I took silly pictures of the concerts I went to with their eye in mind, high up, with the lights where sound travels up and beyond. 

These are my ceilings of 2023. 
You don't need to know the show or all that went on (though likely I've probably gabbed about at least a few of them in person or on Facebook already 🤣). 

But this is the heart of it. 
In 2023, I bent my neck to look up, and I listened deeply. Often the world can be overwhelming to the senses. For me, my eyes are the ones that shut down first - tired and jittering, and my ears are what I lean into to help find my grounding. 

I hope to capture more ceilings in 2024, and I hope that whatever your hobby, passion, or love is that you too, lift your head.

...

Much love & Music.

....
 

                                                                            MARCH:



JULY: 



SEPTEMBER:


OCTOBER 1:


OCTOBER 2:



                                                                        NOVEMBER:




Comments

Popular Posts