2020 The Year of Concerts: January




Some of my dear friends had the idea that 2020 would be their year of hikes. They mapped them out, organized them by distance/difficulty, and invited others to join them. Such a stellar idea, right? Well after going to an amazing concert with them - I started to think about this idea and how I might try a version myself. 

It would have to be something I enjoyed where others could join if they desired, and it had to be useful. Obviously, I thought of music. Then it hit me - the year of concerts - now I know what anyone who knows me well would say if they read this: 'every year is your year of concerts'. 

Well, I've made allowances for that voice in my head too. The concerts I'll be going to once a month (knowing me probably more) will be artists I don't know or haven't seen. Also, I'm trying to avoid big names/ mainstream artists. This being said I will not only go to shows like this, but I will only write about those shows as part of this series. So, if I go to a band's show that say I've seen 9 times before (okay YES it's ridiculous and yes it's Penny and Sparrow) - I'll go to an extra show that month and write about it. 

The challenge is set. 

I'm so excited to discover new music, push my ears into different directions, have some pals come along for the ride, and force myself to write consistently on this blog. If you have suggestions please let me know. (Please keep in mind I will not do Country, unless it is Country Western or has Bluegrass/ Americana roots.)

Now let's get into January's concert.

...

"We welcome You with praise."

This is one of my favorite lines in worship. When I sing it it helps me focus on the point of worship, to lift to God my gratitude of His Spirit in my life. It puts me in a posture of hospitality. It encourages me to sing to God and not at Him. 

Have you ever thought that we could welcome people to the faith with how we praise?

I'm not talking about great acoustics, or something impressive. I'm talking about how we walk in our faith everyday and how we share in song and service with other believers. True worship should invite others in. 

Have you ever thought how your worship could invite others to join you?

The Porter's Gate has. 



...
"The Porter’s Gate is a sacred ecumenical arts collective reimagining and recreating worship that welcomes, reflects and impacts both the community and the church. It was founded in 2017 with a mission to be a “porter” for the Christian Church — one who looks beyond church doors for guests to welcome."  -their website

 ...


Audrey Assad has long inspired, and helped lift my gaze as a Christian. Her songwriting and voice are God's brilliant gift. I'm so grateful for the ways we are able to receive bits of His character reflected through other people's creativity. What a joy. 

Her song "Help My Unbelief" has held my hand during hazy months of trying to have the faith appropriate for a child of God. This song encouraged me to understand that even in my wanderings and places where I find it hard to believe - God can help me even in this. I can't explain the freedom that allowed me, and how it pushed me into seeking God instead of simply trying to make sense of Him. 

Audrey has a lot of important songs that I encourage you to listen to. I've placed my favorite album below, but please don't stop there. 





Alas, I digress. Audrey mentioned on Twitter that she was coming to Tennessee so I had to find out where and when. When I heard she was coming with The Porter's Gate I had no idea what to expect because I was unfamiliar with them, but I knew Audrey and had heard of some of their other collaborators so I mentioned it to some friends for them to join, and I planned to go.

...


I 100 percent recommend going 'auditory unaware' to a concert. I've gone to concerts before of people I didn't know well, but usually I research them a lot and listen to them beforehand. This one I didn't, I just trusted Audrey. 

I've been to many, many worship gatherings. Yet, this one was different. I was worshipping God and hearing these perfectly crafted lyrics all the while I felt encouraged, I felt pushed, carried, I felt like I could go and not grow weary. The Porter's Gate aims to welcome people, they want to have the hospitality of Christ and they desire for you to seek the same. It seems simple, but it reminded me how internally minded my own worship was, not only within myself but the church at large. 

There are so many beautiful things to say about these songwriters and musicians, but I don't want to tell it all to you, I want you to hear it, think on it, and let it lead to action as I hope for in myself. 

The collective has an album called "Work Songs..." and if you listen to anything, please listen to all of their music. This set of songs does something I have never experienced in other worship music - it encourages the believer while also lifting Christ. 

We all felt it - as my friend said, "a lump in the throat". That holding back tears happened because in this unique songwriting we got to glimpse at what may be a fraction of God saying, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Only a song written by God's people listening close to His creativity could fashion songs like this. If you are weary, if you need to know others are serving as well, if you need to be reminded God sees you, listen below.





Lastly, but not least - Urban Doxology played a small set. I also was unfamiliar with this group.

"URBAN DOXOLOGY IS A MINISTRY OF ARRABON THAT WRITES THE SOUNDTRACK OF RECONCILIATION IN THE RACIALLY DIVERSE AND GENTRIFYING NEIGHBORHOOD OF CHURCH HILL, RICHMOND, VA."  - their website

They have a song called "Isaiah 58" that is a powerful spoken word that encourages us to take seriously the Scripture that asks us to seek justice and restore the brokenness in our communities. This is a song you need to hear.

Their song "Shalom" also hit me. I felt the adrenaline of hope that we can introduce bits of peace to the world through Christ. So often it's easy to feel discouraged and that we have no hand in restoration. That is Satan's lie. The God we serve is Jehovah Shalom. 

Again, I'm only touching the surface here, but I invite you to listen more and learn the importance behind these artist's songs and how those words can push us into actions that make us better reflections of Christ. 






It was a blessing to discover these brothers and sisters. I couldn't think of a better way to start off this series. I'm grateful for how quickly the title strangers disappears in the gathering of God's people. 


Welcome, sweet reader. 



...


"And there is nothing to fear, nothing to fear
There is nothing to fear, nothing to fear
For I am with you always
(Ooh)

In the depths of your sorrow, I wept beside you
When you walked through the shadow, I drew you near
Yesterday, today, tomorrow, always the same
I am the Lord",
"Nothing to Fear", ft. Audrey Assad

Comments

Popular Posts