TFF: "Love Triangle"

 The Feeling Fragment: Music is the "fragment" of a story that connects us to characters and allows us to empathize with them. In this series, we explore the role music plays in story. Music, in my opinion is what gives the story it's humanity, and adds more "feeling".


Every year I pick a quote to remind me of something important throughout the 365 day span. After reading my 2017 quote, a friend asked if I shared the depth of pain described by the author. I didn't answer because I haven't suffered that way. 

Instead, I've walked and listen with those that have. 
I don't identify with a great depth of emotion because I've been through something terrible - I identify with it because I've seen people I love fight through degrees of anguish. There's something about looking in on a heart breaking. You see things you can't articulate, but you end up trying because you're desperate to empathize. Your heart breaks too - even though you've never been in their shoes. 

I haven't suffered my own pain. 
I have felt the pangs of a thousand heartaches that don't belong to me. 
I don't know why that is, but I am indebted to the growth, patience, and gentleness I have learned from people that endure. 

They've taught me to cry,
but more importantly they've taught me how to keep at it.
They've done this by letting me into to their story. What is more personal than sharing your own story?

....


I've always admired country music because it tells a story. Usually, the lyrics chronicle a story of loss. They take us to a place and time specific to the artist and we are asked to sing along. We feel every word almost like they are our own. Young and up and coming country artist, RaeLynn has mastered this with her song, "Love Triangle". 



This song is the story of her parents' divorce. I don't think I've been able to empathize so strongly with something I've never experienced. RaeLynn takes you there. It's her unyielding honesty, perspective of a child, and personal antidotes that pull you into a world that isn't your own. This window into RaeLynn's life is a painful place to look, but when you do you understand something a little bit better than you did before.

We need each other's stories.
I don't know enough, I haven't experienced enough on my own. But you and I and others, the things we feel collectively - that can build a special person.   
Empathy is a powerful thing. I am thankful for art and music and a way to express our reality to others. We let people in and in the process, we educate, we correct, we ask for mercy, and heal because it's no longer just one person's suffering - it's everyone's to help carry.  

I invite you to listen.
Because the person next to you has something you can learn from.
Ask a question.
Watch their eyes.
You might find something you didn't expect. 

Comments

Popular Posts