Then Came the Morning

"Teach me to know my number of days
Hold out my heart from getting carried."
the lone bellow 



I've been wishing away thresholds most of my life. You know that moment when you are forced to walk away, dazed from something breathtaking. It's the hardest type of leaving. You wish yourself back to where you were with every step. I've always been troubled by the doorways, the stairs, and the hallways that separate us from the moment we've just experienced. It's a strange transition to go from dancing and smiling at the notes -- to walking quietly out -- still captivated by the beauty.

After I leave a concert, I experience this the most. The waking from a dream - and all I want is the covers back - the warmth. I hear mumbles behind me about the show. But all I feel is an even buzzing in my heart. It forces me to whisper -- and I stomach all the clichés that are trying to surface. The only words I can manage are that I hate the dissolve. I hate when the sweet melodies vanish from thin air, and I return to the mugginess of life.

Last night, I remembered why I am thankful for the chasm between magic and reality (aka music and life). I had the great honor to be in the crowd to welcome The Lone Bellow to Knoxville, TN. It was their first time in this sweet southern town. I couldn't help but laugh as we sat hanging on to every note. It was like an introduction, we shook hands and smiled through the first few songs. Then we decided we were already friends though we had never met.

Our friendship was sealed with, "Green Eyes and a Heart of Gold," the song began and from the corner of my eye I saw someone stand up and clap. They spun in a circle -- welcoming us to leave behind the fear of a first meeting and stand up with them. As we found our feet the air shifted -- we were on the ride. After a flawless, and unplugged performance of "Two sides of Lonely" I think everyone found their roots.

If you've never seen these poets live - please find your nearest venue and change that. These 3 are a raw talent and all heart. I sometimes want their name to be The Freight Trains because their signature is ending and extending bridges with a sweet hum that dives and dips, much like a train whistle. All 3 are gifted, born to sing -- it's obvious. But I think my favorite thing about them is their attention to dynamics. It comes out on their album, but it's only fully embraced live. They can whisper the verses, but the chorus comes through in shouts. As a reserved and often weak voice -- this reminds me why I love music and art. Because when they shout the chorus -- it's a shout for all the songs I wasn't strong enough to sing. In it we find something most refreshing -- it doesn't matter if our cries, or in this case our "bellows" are singular. They are heard.


"Two sides of lonely
One is heart
One is duty.
Two sides of lonely
One's in the grave
And the other should be.
And the dead folks they hum
All the songs that you sung
In the grave you dug yourself
When we were young
And the dead folks they sway
Back and forth to the drum

Two sides of lonely
Laid to rest in their arms."
"Two Sides of Lonely", The Lone Bellow


Comments

Popular Posts