"This one's for the girls."

This is a man's world
But it would be nothing, nothing, Not one little thing
Without a women or a girl.
-James Brown

James was right. Yet, I am not entirely sure the first phrase is true. Ladies, this one is for you.

Martina McBride stole our heart's with "This One's For the Girls." She chronicles the life of a woman growing up and all the stages we go through. I never knew how much I would identify with the lyrics, "This is for all you girls about twenty-five. In a little apartment, just trying to get by. Living on, on dreams and spaghetti-o's, Wondering where you life is gonna go." Martina taught me a valuable lesson: though life changes, you can remain true, and of coarse music will always be there. I still crank this and you should too.


Next, the Cheetah Girls meant something to the pre-teen version of myself. "Girl Power" was the song stuck in every girl's head. I mean "you better stand up if you know that you're a star." Not to mention when Raven hands the CD over in the music video and says, "bump this." The attitude is spot on. Society does a lot to try to help girls grow up confident yet ultimately they fail. However, as cheesy as it may seem the music is where they succeed. "Strut" was equally as awesome.


So I love boy bands. However, boy bands have nothing on my favorite women and leaders of girl power. Dolly Parton, Miranda Lambert, and Cher. These three women though unique in their own respects are forces not to be reckoned with.


Dolly is sweet and southern; the type that keeps you believing even when life is hard. Miranda is strong and one you do not want to mess with. The girl has kerosene, do not cross her. She is one of the truest true. Lastly, Cher is just herself. Though some are uncomfortable with the voice that comes from her--she is fabulous. She has such staying power and her voice is from another galaxy. Also, she has evolved as an artist. She has never stayed stagnant. I prefer the 80s Cher myself. All these women make me proud to be what I am.


So to all my ladies, we run this.

 


"There will be no fade out
This is not the end
I'm down now
But I'll be standing tall again
Times are hard but
I was built tough
I'm gonna show you all what I'm made of."
"You Haven't Seen the Last of Me", Cher

Comments

Popular Posts