The Great Equalizer



"Bring us, O Lord God, at our last awakening into the house and gate of heaven, to enter into that gate and dwell in that house, where there shall be no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light; no noise nor silence, but one equal music; no fears nor hopes, but one equal possession; no ends nor beginnings, but one equal eternity: in the habitations of thy majesty and glory, world without end.
Amen."
-John Donne (1571 - 1631)

Lately, I have had a longing for a British accent. Sometimes I find myself talking in it and getting stuck there for a moment. Those moments are my favorite. Who has not wished they had that hint of sophistication in their voice? Who has not dreamt of saying "crumpets and tea" with that lovely sound in their words?

 My mother sealed my fate when she introduced me to "Pride and Prejudice" at the tender age of 12. I did not come to appreciate the content until some time later, but I practiced my accent with pride. Everything I said felt more important, like I was painting my words in porcelain as I said them. Also, I have loved Australian and New Orleans accents. What's your favorite?

Whenever I tell people I want a British accent I get that funny look I usually do. Their reply, "You already have an accent." My reply is silence. However, I still wish for more. Anyways, I have heard my voice my whole life--I just want to say things in a new way.

So being British is left to my dreams. I'm fine with that, I'm from the South and God smiles. However, I started thinking of a great phenomenon. Have you ever noticed how when people sing we're all equal? Sure, with country music you have some forced twangs and what not. And Sam Smith keeps a bit of that beauty within. But for the most past we all the same when we sing. For example, Keith Urban--who knew that voice was Australian underneath?

The point is we can hear an accent, but when we sing we are equal. We hear the message most. Music is The Great Equalizer. It allows us to all have a place we call home, yet come together in song and claim humanity as our home. We raise our anthems together.

So as our voices can sometimes tell us apart, make us unique, or be the cause of prejudice-- now they harmonize.

To the songs sang across the world, we turn it up.

"I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere." Johnny Cash




Comments

Popular Posts