The only time you turn your music down (is to turn up some else's)




     "I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I'm going to do it by listening."
-Larry King

Sometimes I imagine the person that music would be.



What do you think they would look like? Act like? How would they carry themselves? Would you be friends with them?





I imagine music always wearing a faint smile even when thoughtful. I see them lingering alone, yet quickly fleeing to the aid of others in their time of crisis. I imagine them saying such gentle words that they'd melt the pain built up between. I see them shouting in anger, crying in agony and rejoicing in thankfulness. I'd like to think we'd be friends but they'd accuse me of being far too guarded. I imagine them in tie-dye laughing with me. If music were a person they'd skip rocks on the river. They'd be honest from the start. They'd say just what we fear they'd say.




Yet we'd never wish that truth away.

While we may never get to see music become a human being--we have something better. We get to see the musical side of everyone we know. We see a side that makes us listen to songs we never would have before, but now we do because once that track made someone we love, smile. Once that song meant something to someone we hold so dear and in that it has the power to mean much to us. The circle only grows. Next time a friend sends you a playlist--listen up.




Their heart is on repeat.

I thought I knew about music. However, one can only know so much. Listen to the people around you. They know some genre or decade better than you do. To anyone and everyone that has ever given a song. Thank you.









Honorable mentions:
CHER
Amy Winehouse
Stevie Nicks/ Fleetwood Mac
Aretha Franklin
Sundy Best
Grace and Tony
Pentatonix
The Civil Wars
......







____




"This is a song - for the lonely
Can you hear me tonight?
For the broken hearted, battle scarred
I'll be by your side
And this is a song - for the lonely
When your dreams won't come true
Can you hear this prayer?
'Cause someone's there for you."
Song For the Lonely, Cher





Comments

Popular Posts