Demand the Mandolin, Pursue the Punk.


 "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along."
-Maroon 5

Grace and Tony took these words to heart. This Tennessee sound brings the flavor, and no, your palette is not ready. With an eerie mix of banjo and soul--"punkgrass" is born. Who knew that hipsters could become anymore hip? Well, here is the mother load.

Tony said this of their style:
“Punkgrass is simply a natural fusion of my punk rock background, and Grace’s southern gospel and bluegrass upbringing,” stated Tony. “It isn’t forced, it’s very organic and it stands out because it’s a real fusion of what’s new and old. We play whatever pops into our heads; from classic rock to southern gospel, we scratch every itch. It’s dark, yet happy; silly, yet serious. Plus, it’s a whole lot of fun to play.”
Feeling giddy yet? I think sometimes we forget that music, writing, politics, learning, finances, etc. can be fun. Yes, there is a celebration in everything. Maybe we have just been inviting the wrong version of ourselves to the party. I know I have been. Grace and Tony bring themselves to the table and because they came--compromise ensued. Time has taught us everything fits in a genre and we have drawn pretty lines and been content to be the best in our circles. Grace and Tony do something refreshing--they make their own lines.

Sometimes you like old-fashioned murder mysteries, sometimes that turns into music. Never be too quick to say it is not art. Never be too quick to think an idea does not work. Maybe it just needs to be fashioned in fusion.

Oh, and if you are like me and truly MISS the Civil Wars it does not hurt that Tony is John Paul White's brother. I know it is always in the family for me. This was accidental. A happy accident. Enjoy.





"Oh your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you,
Oh I don't love you but I always will."
Poison and Wine, by The Civil Wars



Comments

Popular Posts