For the love of elevator music..




"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;
 the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." -Plato



....

I wanted to chronicle my semester in Washington, D.C. in some manner. However, I also wanted to continue to hear the music. So I have decided for the next little bit to merge them together. Everything needs theme music right?

Yesterday, I rode the metro (subway) for the first time. I came to see it is not like Disney-this thing really rides underground. For some reason the entire concept made me feel like I was in a futuristic movie. I was looking over my shoulder for robots with silver faces and Will Smith racing behind. Needless to say--it was something. During the day of riding buses, metros, and taxis I felt strange. I had been tapping my feet all day and dancing underneath; just the usual walk for me, but still something lingered.

There was no music.


At first this was obvious and troubled me. I was desperate for my iPod and a few songs. Why would a public transportation system not give music to the people? Do they not want to see the people dance? Do they not want to dissolve the awkward wait time between stops? I could not understand it. Then it hit me.

This city is music.

From the family that walked on the 92 bus that had "You Da One" by Rihanna as a ringtone, to the rhythmic honking, to the pulsing of the bus as it stopped and started--everything was an instrument and this city, the strings. Even the trains that warn the tracks they are coming, and the metro that gives recorded updates, to the last of the people bustling through--this city needs no soundtrack. There is music if you take the time to listen.


Listening & Learning:


These pictures are my view of D.C. As I looked at this again I noticed something beautiful. The sun was blazing and this lamp post was not lit. However, when I stood with the lamp post in front of the sun-- it glowed. In that I saw God. He is the ultimate light, and we are that lamp post. We shine because He shines through us. We are dependent on Him, but when He is away we too can glow- in remembrance. It truly illustrates the idea of being a vessel. God does not need us to light the world, yet He fashioned the lamp post. In this I have found confidence. Though I may not always know how to do what is before me-- He does. He lights the world, He lights my path, and He can bring light when I have nothing. In this I am confident.

When we are given something,
I believe that is the first step. It is not the last.
It is very much like how a playlist begins. First, we pick one song then it grows into a list of splendid hooks and melodies. We share it and others listen. Then they change it a little bit to fit a different crowd and it grows. This single song now ebbs and flows- making music for the people. Bringing joy to the silent corners. Giving and never stopping. My hope is to give, not just receive this opportunity. This good thing will not stop with me... It will keeping playing.

I have learned in only a few short days that I am oblivious, incapable, and given to. I have learned to hear the sounds in a new way and in distant places.

Go find the strings.
Go find the melody.
Go find the words.



GREAT COVER:
:)



"Take this message to my brother
You will find him everywhere
Wherever people live together
Tied in poverty's despair
You, telling me the things you're gonna do for me
I ain't blind and I don't like what I think I see"


Takin' it to the streets,
The Doobie Brothers




Comments

Popular Posts