The Accordion.

“I want words at my funeral. 
 But I guess that means you need life in your life.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
 
 
I have listened to a lot of songs this year, viewed a lot of art, and seen a lot of movies. However, for the first time in a long time I felt a slow twisting in my chest. You know that place where they tell you that your most vital organ is? That place where you trust your blood pumps in and out of. It is that sometimes empty place. Mine normally sits still--calm, reserved, and quiet. Sometimes, though with a good song, movie, or story it rattles in its' cage. Sometimes, it bottoms out and stalls. If you lost hope for entertainment and media lately--knock on your heart because it is about to wake up. Do yourself a favor, see the movie, read the book, listen to the soundtrack--just experience The Book Thief.
  
 
 
 
As we trace our fingertips along the edges of 2013-- we look back and reflect. As humans this is our nature and it is often cathartic. We make lists of what we will do, of what we will not do, and what we have done wrong. Every year our post-it notes and reminders serve us well until the first bit of business finds its way into our wallets and time. Then, all the sudden we are not as interested, not as motivated, not as resolved to make changes. We are only human, right? Maybe next year. After all, change is hard. It takes us from a familiar place and re-plants us elsewhere. I have waded in the waters of complacency too long. So 2014, I welcome you. There are two things I am going to do today, tomorrow, and however long I am allowed:
 
Listen & Learn.
 
 
In 2013, I learned more than I probably ever have. Some were hard lessons, some were beautiful--both I welcomed. I learned that people are people and they should be given mercy, time, and chances. I learned that I cannot know everything, and I smile at it. I learned that we all feel the same things. Yet, we tell the stories differently. I learned we write to empathize. I learned that I never want to stop learning. I was to be a 5-year-old standing over a book, wide-eyed, ready to discover anything. I learned I am resolved to live in a constant Neverland. I will be chasing the wonder and innocence of Peter Pan for quite some time. I learned that it is not the pursuit of knowledge, but the breathtaking scenery. It is the way up. It is the way out. It is the villain, the journey, it is the opportunity to wake up another day and learn.
 
 
In 2013, I had another blessed year of being able to hear. Sometimes I am overcome by what a gift it is to hear. I listened to people, brilliant people. It is from them that I learned so many of the things above. I listened to music, sweet music. New voices that widened my perspective, old voices that reminded me of where I came from.
 
 
So with 2014, I offer no plan or direction. I will continue to find the music in everyday life, but I have no theme. Only to listen and learn.
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts