Harvest Moon, I Swoon.

 
    I have seen the moon for 21 years. But never, never have I seen it like Monday night. I was walking minding my own business when I staggered because of the huge luminary in front of me. I heard 'wow' under my breath as I stood mesmerized by something I had seen so many times, but right then I had never seen it--not in that way.

    It got me to thinking about all the lights in life that make me stop and stare. Underneath I smiled because I know so many. My God, music, my family, culture, second chances, and the whimsical harvest moon. And I thought how beautiful every little thing can be. I watched tiny strings of light turn into a glow so bright.

    I am notorious for listening to the same song over and over again. Notorious. I make people learn songs they do not even know because I have sang the line a thousand times. I guess it is because at that moment I am seeing what I know in a brand new way. I am hearing a song I have never heard. I have heard a guitar, a voice, and drums--but not in that way. That moment that makes me turn my volume up, close my eyes, and open my heart: that is the moment I stand frozen. Because as many tired words that I have ever said are finally singed by the flame of a brighter, hungrier voice. They say that nothing is authentic, but I do not think they have seen the harvest moon. Or heard the voices that have. It is taking something old, something known, and making you feel tipsy under the melody once more. Blinding you to a memory of what it was before--waking you to a light much brighter than before. 



"I believe home is a place that I will get someday
If someone just will hold me
I believe hope is a thing that I will find some time
If someone just will show me"

Moss On A Rolling Stone, Noah Gundersen

Comments

Popular Posts