Sophomore Slump

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." -Colossians 2:8
 
 
    If there is anything comparable to the "dog days of Summer" it has to be the "college years". They both contain a monotony that sucks you dry of the energy you once possessed. Yet they are in disguise because they just so happen to occur during the best part of the year and during the best part of one's life. However, the focus is not usually on the positive side. We have never followed convention though--so let us make a wave. Instead of focusing on the "slump" of these momentous times let us focus on the beauty and bliss they bring.
      Okay, so every season in life can be difficult it is not just college. However, I remember just last year how much my life was changed by going to college. Everyone tells you it will be the best years, and you will never forget the memories. I am finding this to be true, but I also found something else. I found that no one would ever speak for me again. From the moment I left my little town I have been the only reply for my life. This might sound elementary but in my eyes it was revolutionary. This new world was 10,000 times the size the one I cuddled up to for 18 years of my life. It is a world where I ask more questions than I ever have-- and I already have asked so many my whole life. This 18-22 world is a place where everyone challenged your thoughts and beliefs. In Bible college you do not just learn about your faith, the reason that you breathe, but you also learn everything else from media classes (my major) to general education. While I have been envious of those who take their belief to "real world", I have found it takes faith to live in both. You either fight yourself and your tradition in Bible college trying to chase Truth without presuppositions, or you stand alone in a world that may or may not reject you. Everyone has a battle regardless of what your eyes tell you. At first I was discouraged thinking all I had learned had been child's play. Then I realized that I had a chance to be the wise people I revered. Instead of letting them intimidate me into silence I have learned to embrace every asking and answer. It is still a work in progress, but I am not tired and I will stay relentless. The only way to become like these great minds is to invite adversity and call it a blessing. And wait and see it will become one: if it does not let me know.
       Jimmy had a song on his album Not Without Love that I always secretly loved, but I never understood why: I would soon discover the reason. "Tossed By the Wind" is about a young man who goes to college with Jesus on his heart and in his head. His mother warns him of the world he will encounter, "Be sure that no one takes you captive by the deception of men, cause you will find it to be tragic in the end". This young man listens to the scholars who tell him his beliefs are mere fairy tales, and he chases after great minds, like western philosopher David Hume instead of Jesus. This new place was out to convert him, yet he wanted and thirsted for wisdom but ended up broken. In the midst of the challenges the bridge ties it together: "Lies always fail in the end, Truth will prevail in the end, My grace is sufficient my friend". Little did I know what this song would mean to me. Some call it a sophomore slump but I think being challenged brings the honest out of a person. Thanks again, Jimmy :)


"I don't need a grand display
Oh, show me that your heart has changed.
I don't need a show
only just to know your own heart breaks,"
-Rend, Jimmy Needham

Comments

Popular Posts