Stop Throwing Pennies!

     My last two months of music have dealt with my favorite bands of all time. They have walked with me through hard years, and I know the ends and outs of them as if we were close friends. However, this month I want to make it about a new friend. Old friends are near and dear to our hearts, but I want to give a chance to this new gem I am getting to know.
     Pennies are not worth much these days. The average American thinks of them as unneeded clinking in the jar--a tambourine in their wallet. We hate change not just the literal act but the shiny, bronze piece too. It is only worth 1 cent, it is the type of thing we drop and never bother to pick up. Pennies are precious to me. I am the weird girl who keeps her change in a separate container. My change is kept in a mini jelly jar and a mini Tupperware. Coins have so much more character than the paper leaflets in my wallet. They have been forgotten and wear the ware and tear of the years they have endured. They shine, sparkle and make beautiful sounds within their whimsical containers. I am suggesting it is time to pick up the penny...
      One of my beautiful and brilliant friends understands my musical palate so well. So when she suggested a band I was quick to check them out. One of her many nicknames is Penny so I knew this band has to be genuine. Then add a lovely bird to the mix...Penny and Sparrow. It was love at first listen--the kinda sound were you just know everything is going to be just fine. Part of her recommendation lay in the fact that their current album is called "Ten Boom". My friend knows my admiration for Jewish people and culture. She bought me a Star of David for my birthday--she gets me. She also knows how much I love and honor Corrie Ten Boom. So a perfect blend came together of things I cherish. Jennifer Jean Benson, it is all your fault, and I thank you :)
      So Penny and Sparrow here's to a friendship, and I cannot wait for it to last. We will uncover the beauty that is your sound very soon. What a beautiful ride up ahead...



Here's a taste:
http://pennyandsparrow.bandcamp.com/album/tenboom

"And if hope keeps you young awhile
then if you please, Id like to die as a child" -Brothers

Comments

Popular Posts