Letters, Lists, and Things I Dearly Love

        My cousins and I have always been a bit old fashion in a specific area. We love to write letters to each other. The distance between us has been a long 886 miles for our entire lives. However, we learned to fill the space up as young kids. We sent our love along the miles writing stories, songs, and scrap booking. We were devoted to it because it allowed us to send a piece of ourselves. Even today on occasion we will write to each other though we are full grown. We loved making lists for some reason. So in a string of events I decided to write our top 20 Boyce avenue covers and send it to my cousin. One would suppose that this would only take minutes. It took me three days to finalize my choices. It was as if I was choosing details for my wedding--so particular. I wrote paragraphs of reasons as to why each cover was close to my heart. It was a blast to do and yet so hard because I LOVE about 98% of Boyce's covers. So I thought I might share just my top 10 for Boyce month's sake....

       10.)  "Everything You Want" by Vertical Horizon
         9.)  "Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional
         8.)  "A Team"  by Ed Sheeran
         7.)  "Icebox" by Omarion
         6.)  "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" by Coldplay
         5.)  "Sweetest Girl (Dollar Bill)" by Wyclef/Akon
         4.)  "Jar Of Hearts" by Christina Perri
         3.)  "Will You Be There" by Michael Jackson
         2.)  "Back For Good" by Take That
         1.)  "I Look To You" by Whitney Houston

      I almost fear to describe this video. It hardly needs words, I hope not to taint it. Yet, beautiful things in life deserve our effort so I will give it. Whitney's original edition of her song of coarse cannot be touched. She was a powerhouse and this lyric made her voice soar as never before. However, Boyce Avenue made a brilliant tribute I feel. They always bring something unique as they spin a song into their style. They bring a more introverted, vulnerable feel in their cover of this song. When I hear this song I am instantly peaceful. First note: bam, that's all it takes. This arrangement is so gentle yet acquires every strength within me to rise and pulls it to the surface. Often life leaves us jaded, but hope always lives another day. "When melodies are gone, in you I hear a song." I can think of nothing more terrifying than a day when melodies cease to fall on my ears. However, if and when that day does come I can rest knowing a song can be found. This song has such universal meaning, it can be to a parent, a friends, a love, or even to God. When I hear this song it is worship to me. It reminds me of God's constancy in light of my inadequacy. I can look to Him and find rest.

"My levees are broken/ My walls have come tumbling down on me/
The rain is falling. Defeat is calling. I need you to set me free.
Take me far away from the battle. I need you.
Shine on me." -I Look To You


Comments

Popular Posts