Land of the Bees

       Bear. Bo. and Seth Bolt.
   With names like that--something uncharted is definately in the midst. These South Carolina boys have taken the heart of many rugged souls. I remember the moment I too, "needed to breathe". My youth group at the time was a heavy influence in my musical world and I loved it. I walked in one night before fellowship to see three men gathered around a dark piano. As the world swung sleepily around me--I knew this feeling. I had had it a few times before. I had it when I found my past favorite bands, the Jonas Brothers, Hanson, Relient K, ect. And now the musical fates had danced in front of me once more. It was a sound unique to any other: deep, strong, and transparent. If you've ever heard a melody that lets you see right through a person you know what I mean. When I heard "Washed By the Water" that unsuspecting Wednesday night, I understood. I remember the stupid grin on my face as others walked in asking me why I was so captured... Was there any question? As they listened--there was not.
    If you are the person who listens to music at night, or think that it means more up loud: listen close. NEEDTOBREATHE plays the most flawless live show. It is better than the CD, who can boast that? Not many people, because nowadays everyone looks for a performance--not raw talent and heart. I have had the joy to see them twice and I hope to make it to a charm. When I saw them live they sang a few songs unplugged. Bear told everyone to be quiet and though we laughed--everyone was still. Because we knew they would not just be sharing their voices, they'd be sharing a life. What happened next forced me to look around because angels were singing. I kid you not.
    Since the undiscovered glory days of NTB beginning they have become better known. Thanks to a little blonde named Taylor Swift and some smart people with good ears. To me, it is always a little tragic when your secret gem gets noticed. When you prided yourself so well on keeping them protected from "the audiences who will not understand the heart it takes for them to be who they are". However, when they truly are as electrifying as this band-- it is selfish not to share. Would you deny your friends water or a place to stay? Never.
    Daylight, The Heat, The Outsiders, The Reckoning. It is just enough to get you dreaming. These hopeful words are more that albums. If you've heard them you know why. Next, we will look at what makes them timless and effortless. But until then we will savor the gift that moma Rinehart gave to the world-- A boy named after Alabama's head coach "Bear"and a dueling banjo of "Bo". And them meeting a dark horse to the front in "Bolt". Possum Kingdom, SC would never be the same.

"Even when the Earth crumbles under my feet/ Even when the ones I love turn around and crucify me/ I won’t never ever let you down/ I won’t fall/ I won’t fall/ I won’t fall as long as You’re around me." -NEEDTOBREATHE

Comments

Popular Posts