That came out a little country...

     Fall beckons the words "ya'll, sweetheart, and yens". I don't know about you, but I already feel better hearing those phrases. I feel right at home. It's not just the orange, red, and gold in the leaves: country music looks good in all seasons. It's the story that fills the lines that reminds us all of the place where we rest our head. It might not be written with the correct grammar, but I'd rather sing a double negative (don't never) that was honest, than a pretty line that was a lie. I guess that's the magic of it. County music is an uncensored take on life. It's straight up, simple, and sweet. Let's take a closer look.
    Imagine the local pop station you listen to when driving in the car. The beat is fast, the voice high, and the tune catchy. Then you roll the windows down, take a back road, and hide a smile behind a mason jar. The station flips over. Now you are caught up in a story. You listen close because missing a verse is like missing a chapter. It's a story your family told you, or your best friend. You listen hopeful for a happy ending, but sometimes it doesn't come. You find a constant theme: life. That's country music. It's a mullet, a guitar, and a dream that believes a little too far. Funny thing, that's exactly what life takes.
    A lot of people like "county" which is what I consider new country. Its still got the banjo in the back and a lead voice that carries a twang, but it's missing the raw style. Don't get me wrong, I love new country as much as regular country--I just think the difference should be realized. NEW= Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts, and Lady Antebellum. CLASSIC= Lee Ann Womack, George Strait, and Diamond Rio. All are great artist, simply different.
    To be honest that's what I love--that you can be different, but still country. Now I'm not saying everyone who has a cowboy hat understands the genre, but I do think anyone who slows down enough to look at life is capable of being country. After all, we are just human "bless our hearts".

"In every state, there's a station/ Playin' Cash, Hank, Willie, and Waylon
In foreign cars and four-wheel drives/ There's cowboys and hillbillies
From farm towns to big cities/ There ain't no doubt in my mind." -Brantley Gilbert

Comments

Popular Posts