Phonebook? Ew, too many names!

       "What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet." Even though I love this line and it's Shakespeare, I have to disagree. It fits the context I suppose meaning that being either Capulet or Montague doesn't solely determine one's identity. In this specific case just because they have two last names that hate each other doesn't mean they have to hate each other. Juliet is like a rose and the name of disdain that she carries doesn't reflect that. So a name isn't everything to Romeo, but Romeo isn't a great example to follow. Let's be honest--he is far from triumphant. He mistakenly kills himself thinking Juliet has gone. Maybe he could have changed the ending if he realized the power in a name. You can be more than your name but without it your nothing.
     Artist sing for a name, a good band creates a name, and you and I listen for the next great name. With so many names sometimes it's hard to find one worth the title they boast. There's that artist with the amazing story behind the song. There's also the band with the complex story behind their name like Coheed and Cambria, which spans the story line of various albums. These are the things that bring us meaning and help us connect to a far off person we so easily relate to in music. If I know that Katy Perry is really Katheryn Hudson, and I know why--I understand the name. When you understand the name you realize she wanted to be unique (not like Kate Hudson). She wanted an identity that people wouldn't confuse. Even though her identity and birth name is exactly who she is; she knew what was in a name. Her music reflects the same idea. She is unique, stands out, and colorful. She became Katy Perry and no one will ever confuse such an identity or name.
    One of my absolute favorite things is when an artist makes an allusion to their own music/name. It's like a mile marker that says 'I have arrived' in the music world. Two of the best examples I think are Coldplay and NEEDTOBREATHE. Coldplay's song "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" comes from nothing short of lyrical genius. The creative complexity is a feast for the ears. If this song wasn't stellar enough on it's own; they mention it again. In the rightfully popular "Paradise" we see the line "Life goes on, it gets so heavy/ The wheel breaks the butterfly /Every tear a waterfall / In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes/ In the night the stormy night away she'd fly." They alluded to their own song and to me that is impressive. The second example is found in NEEDTOBREATHE's "Something Beautiful". In your ocean I'm ankle deep/ I feel the waves crashing on my feet/It's like I know where I need to be, but /I can't figure out, I can't figure out/ Just how much air I will NEEDTOBREATHE." Both these bands realize what is in a name. The stuff in a name is pretty weighty. It's so important we repeat it for emphasis. What's beneath your name? Would you have it written in a song for everyone to sing along? Don't be like Romeo :)

"And now we're grown up orphans/ And never knew their names/
We don't belong to no one/ That's a shame/
But you could hide beside me/ Maybe for a while
And I won't tell no one your name/ And I won't tell 'em your name" --The Goo Goo Dolls <3

Comments

Popular Posts