"Just play me a sad song, and I'll be happy."

        This is a daily oxymoron for me. A lot of people reach for the skip button when a sad song comes on. The radio tends to stick with upbeat, nonsensical tunes that top the charts. This is probably because most sad songs are slow, emotional, and well sad. Many people have a seasonal relationship with emo music. They listen to is after a break-up or a lonely time. This is perfectly acceptable; one of the joys of music is that it holds no prejudice. It isn't like me where I won't listen to a song because of the artist. Music lets the ballerina listen to Metal, the Skateboarder to listen to the Spice Girls, and the classical pianist to listen to dub-step. It not only lets them listen-- music knows they understand even with their differences.
        For some crazy, unknown reason when I hear a sad song a stupid smile dances across my face. Does anyone else know what I mean? Sad music is supposed to make you forlorn, but instead I end up feeling giddy. I don't know if it's the honesty, the fearlessness to be vulnerable, or the full spectrum of human emotion on display that makes me love it so. Either way there is something so captivating about it. I think I trust sad music because it comes right out and says what it is. I am the queen of a happy melodies, but sometimes they feel forced. What is it that makes you believe in something that has been through a trial easier than one that hasn't?
        My favorite sad song band is without a doubt Mayday Parade. Those tight harmonies are enough to make you cry with the first note. If you've heard "Terrible Things" you know there are few songs that are heavier. Mayday has this crazy ability to make you emotional before the words even start. Their voices sound like they are in true pain. If they ever sang "Mine" by Taylor Swift I wouldn't be able to take it seriously. It would feel like a lie for them to sing something so upbeat. Who knows why a melancholy tune makes a grin spread across a face... But I'm willing to bet it's because sad songs show the artistic side of the music "business". Sometimes even though we like Rebecca Black we want a real steak-of-an-artist. And the instant ramen of the "business" side tastes as bland as they would to a broke college kid. Sad songs make me feel like I'm being told something, not sold something.
       Here's to the first of my musical blog. I am in no way an expert or even a novice-- just someone who loves music a lot more than is physically healthy. These are my ramblings from what you might call a "stereo heart". These are my simple thoughts.

       "The simple things, they make my heart go." --Mayday Parade

Comments

  1. Love it! Can't wait to hear the music of your soul on the page! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love :) Your blog is straight wisdom, girl! LOVE it and you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts