Rixton Transforms: The Spectacle of One Band's Evolution





Scooter Braun has a unique talent. No - it's not just frustrating Taylor Swift to no end. Braun has a strange monopoly on pop sensations. Under his belt are three groups: a talent management group, a label, and a publishing company. Talk about a music trifecta. One of his sensations (under Schoolboy Records), Rixton underwent quite the transformation recently.

In 2014, the band performed alongside Justin Bieber and had two smash hits, "Me and My Broken Heart" and "Hotel Ceiling". They played on the radio non-stop, and you may even subconsciously know the words to their old songs. They were thriving. Their album Let the Road was the epitome of modern pop at the time. Rixton was doing well and with their harmonies and Scooter Braun behind them, there seemed to be no place to go but up.

But there was. Rixton fell down, and away.


...


"Despite that early success, the band wasn’t satisfied with the image they had presented the world. They had achieved the dreams of many, but it wasn’t exactly as they had hoped. Rixton just wasn’t them. As things began to slow down shortly after the release of their debut album, the band disappeared into a collective mourning period. They lost their confidence, and the insecurity was paralyzing. They stopped creating – in fact, they stopped everything. The band went totally silent."



RIXTON:












The book was closed, or so it seemed. Yet, in March of this year, the pages flew open. And these words were posted by the band:


"Everything becomes something else."


PUSH BABY:














"we got dropped. i’ll shout it from the rooftops if need be. we got dropped. im not embarrassed to say it. sent back home, with nothing. zero self worth. no money. nothing to show for it. no one was interested. and also, let me be clear, no one’s fault. truth be told, for all i have left now is transparency, i built a ship at the age of 18 with my best friends. the ship sank. too many people on board. the first ones to join us on board were the first to jump overboard when it all started going wrong. that’s ok. i understood. well, at least now i do. for a long time as an artist - i struggled to find MY voice. lying in bed at night thinking ‘who am i? what do i stand for? what can i leave? Shit - AM I even an artist?’"

Quote from Push Baby's Facebook post


...



Everything does become something else, but usually it's not this big of a change.
Rixton: this buttoned-up, smooth harmonies, everyone's cup of tea band, became
Push Baby: a weird mix of modern, tech sounds, trippy visuals, and playful lyrics.
This conventional band became something quite different.

In unpacking this change, there are two questions I want to work through:
1. Is branding just marketing or is it to be treated as the identity of the artist?
2. Do we allow artists to change?


...


IS BRANDING THE SAME THING AS AN ARTIST'S IDENTITY?
[Quick answer: No.]


What's in a name? Well not to get too Shakespearean, but A LOT.


The band said in an ET article in 2015 that "Rixton" was a random name they chose when their previous name "Relics" was already taken without their knowledge. That's pretty big to just pick a name flippantly. I mean your name is how you're identified and what labels you and it separates you from others.

The first thing about Push Baby's transformation that tripped me up was the name change. Not only that we were ghosted for 4 years then they come back with this name, but I feel like it's for shock value. The band is quoted essentially saying that baby is the most overused word in pop, googling their name is horrifying, and they think it's a 'self-aware' name. I'm not sure what trick of PR that is, or what ironic angle they are going for, but honestly it's just plain weird. It's doesn't feel like this "honest" representation of who they want to be. It feels mad random, but to each their own. My thoughts are my own.

Beyond the name there was a change in style: both musically and visually. This is where I really start to lean into the question. When I think of branding I think of a representation for marketing purposes. The dictionary says this: "the promotion of a particular product or company by means of advertising and distinctive design." With this I think of logos, like Twenty One Pilot's tippy, broken H logo or NF's name type logo and the all black vibes with timbs - to me that's branding.

But what I feel like Rixton/ Push Baby did is far beyond that. To me as an observer, I see a band that didn't know themselves, or couldn't, or was kept from it. I see a band that didn't define themselves well. I see another pop group with an album that showcases the artists' voices, but tells me nothing about them. So, even though they were branded one way and now they are another - I don't know if they've ever really taken a stab at finding their true musical identity. I think they just switched up their branding and think it's the same as finding themselves artistically.

Please understand all of this is just musings and speculation. But in the same breath, that's just it: I don't have much else to go off of. The band has vaguely said they were dropped and they lost all confidence and now they are back. Well I have questions: Why did they fizzle out? Was the fame too much? If it was the fame, why not pull a Sia or Daft Punk and protect yourself from that? Did they go broke? Why did they come back like this? If this is their true selves, why was this not what we were presented first? Is this just a publicity stunt to get attention? I could go on.

All in all, I think the reason this change is hard to track with is we are lacking details. I support both names, I listen to both, but how can I really feel like they are being true to themselves and being honest when they are leaving out what happened in the middle? Perhaps this is only about money and rebranding and it's a stunt, but I like to think this is a band trying to figure it out. I see them trying to sort it, but I still think they are working on it. I think true musical identity should lie in the integrity of your work, not the vibe or trendiness of your band at the time.



...



DO WE ALLOW ARTISTS TO CHANGE?
[Quick answer: We try to, but we fail mostly.]


Haha! After all the rambling I just did, you probably think well she definitely doesn't allow artists to change. I'd like to think I do, but I am a skeptic. Darn that inner dialogue that looks for holes, and isn't satisfied with one answer. For real though, this band regardless of what they are doing - has got my freaking number. I try to avoid pop because I try to be a nonconformist, and I have a chip on my shoulder about music needing to be deep and purposeful - but the truth is sometimes it can just be fun or a good time and that doesn't devalue it. You heard it here. I will not repeat this, so hold on to it.

I digress.

I think allowing artist to evolve is hard for us as listeners. Whether it's Kanye and his change of content or Push Baby and their complete 180 - we bristle up a little when people come at us in a different way. I don't think this is always in a bad way or with the intent to be hateful, I think sometimes people just question the integrity of metamorphosis.

In part because we struggle with change because innately we are made to be constant with the Lord, but sin has allowed in our temporary state and condition. Yet, beyond this we struggle with metamorphosis because we haven't been in the cocoon. We only see the worm and then the butterfly and my do we have some questions about how squishy got swishy. If we can't look into the change or see the change while it's happening we have a hard time connecting to it - the same is true in art. Now some of that we just have to deal with - we can't be a fly on the wall for everything, but in some ways we can ask for the artist to share with us if they desire.

So, I think we want to, but we expect that we should get to come along which isn't always fair. Yes, artists choose to put themselves out there and they should expect we want the details, but at the same time they are people and deserve privacy, or being vague or ambiguous if they choose. Ultimately, that also shouldn't make them any less trustworthy or authentic in our eyes either. It's hard to give that benefit of the doubt, but I think if we care about artists and not just what they produce we will give room for this and still give them the chance to be honest.

...


Well now that I've totally nerded out, and more than likely I've lost you, let's talk about Push Baby musically. They were pop and now they are pop. Their stuff is super catchy, but maybe a bit like candy. You'll want a lot when you're bored or have a craving, but it's not a meal, and you can't just rock with it all the time. But for me, someone who constantly chows down on musical meats and cheeses - a little candy is a refreshing treat.

Push Baby released their debut song, "Mama's House" earlier this year. I'm alright with it but the visual was not my thing. Don't let me be the decider though, if you're a little weird check it out - it wasn't my kind of weird but maybe it's yours. Then they released their EP, "Woah" on September 27th (embedded below). This I enjoyed.

If you only listen to one song, let it be, "Thor". This straightforward, awkwardly honest song is a mantra of one man's insecurity in his new relationship. It makes me laugh and at the same time hits that chord that most of us can identify with at some point in our life in thinking we are with someone who is out of our league or better than us in some way. It's just a good time. (Let's be real Thor's movies are lame, so no fear Jake/ unknown songwriters. Maybe the 'more' she deserves is in fact you (who realizes it).)

"CALI SUPERBLOOM" is the song to put on at the start of the day. Either on your commute or with coffee - the only rule is this: turn the volume as loud as you can handle it. You'll dance and forget about it. I promise. This song puts me in a good mood.

"thenineteenseventyfive" is sad, and pensive. I LOVE THE 1975, so this song is a bop for me. It's got some hard things in it, but I think it describes well the pain of loving someone in pain. It's got a driving beat to keep you interested and some nice transitions.

"You don't like the color orange" is so calming to me. It's bit random content wise, but I'm cool with it. Big surprise it's a love song. So just listen to it and feel all the modern pop vibes.

...


I've given you a lot. This whole thing has fascinated me. I hope it does the same for you and reminds you to give things a chance and to let artists be people.

...


"Don't mistake my demeanor for cowardice
I’m a poor conversationist
And anyone close to me gets hurt the most, I'm my very own nemesis
I confess: I'm a pessimist, but like Peter Parker I try to do good
But I'm trying too hard, I'm always on guard
In my neighbourhood, no one knows me, not even my father
There's darkness inside"

"Thor", by Push Baby


Comments

Popular Posts