What a radio has to say



You wouldn't believe the things that come to me:

in the night,

without notice,

incessant, 

shouting, 

repetitive. 


I'm known for telling.

I'm known for saying what you cannot alone.

I am the liaison. 


You're convinced you listen to me.

Hours worth, days worth.


You get to turn me off.

You can turn me down.

You can sit silent without a sound.


But I hear every secret.

I heard you crying after that phone call.

And I know how you turn it up so you don't have to think.

I've memorized your nervous humming, the melody is now mine, too.

I sit with you.

You talk and you talk and you cry and you don't listen to the words.


It's not just me that's heard.

I listen to you.

Without revision, or a volume nob, without ceasing.


And some days I just want to shut off and never back on for all I hear. 

You break my heart with the weight.

I don't even have a heart or intelligent thought, 

but I feel for you. 


But I'll play on as long as my hardware allows.

Not for the things I hear,

but for the things I see.


It's your face when you get in the car and you know we get to ride together and break in that new CD.

It's the split second after the tears - where you turn the volume up, and ease settles across your distressed brow.

It's the smile you let take over when the lyrics hit you.

It's your friends dance moves in the passenger seat, she has so much more rhythm than you. I love a break from your jittery head bobs, no offense, love.

It's your grimace when someone cuts you off for the 3rd time on the way to work and instead of being sour, you blare the music and let it go. 


So whenever I feel stuck.

Like I didn't get to pick what I do, listening to you.

I think of how breathtaking you are with the windows down, learning a new sound.

And I remember you didn't pick your sorrows or joys either.

But my, my through them all you've always kept the music.

You choose to feel and celebrate with me.

And I could not be more honored.


This is big love, 

from yours truly,

Your radio. 


Comments

Popular Posts